Title

Title

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Finishing A Small Quilt

I am addicted to making small quilts. They are fun because
they are simple and fast. Here is what you will need.
Small quilt top
Fat Quarter for backing
Two 1-1/2" x width of fabrics strips for binding
Flannel for batting - I like flannel instead of batting because
it is easier to get the needle through.

Layer quilt top - flannel - backing
Baste three layers together using large stitches.
Hand quilt your desired design. I like to use YLI Cotton Quilting Thread.
 
To prepare binding sew two 1-1/2" strips together using your
favorite technique. Press one long edge under 1/4". 
Attach binding to quilt placing raw edge of binding 
on right side of quilt top along raw edge. 
Sew in place the same way you would a regular binding. 
Press open and hand stitch down on wrong side of quilt.
 
I love the look of a little hand quilted project fresh out of the dryer.

9 comments:

  1. Simple enough! Beautiufl little quilt! The border and binding fabric is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easy Peasy! And oh, sew cute!!! HUGS... and stitches

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet little tutorial, thank you. Just the inspiration I needed to get one done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YLI is my favorite too for hand quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fabric was used for the border?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spy that you have in your little quilt one that I have in my stash - the claret with tiny pomegranates (bottom left). I am so glad to read of your use of flannel as I just bought some but forgot where I read about it. Thank you for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea about YLI. I kept trying to machine quilt with it. I recently threw 4 spools away. Wish I had known. Thank you for the hand quilting project. That is something I really want to do. I will use some 40wt or even 28wt Aurifil, since the other is gone! Loved this post. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete