Title

Title

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Dashing Through The Snow

Several months ago I was out of projects and decided to 
make some red and white Churn Dash blocks to fill the time.
I had a different plan for them at the time, but then one day
a few pretty greens arrived at the shop and I changed my
mind and decided to make a red and green quilt instead. 
It came out so cute I thought you might like to make one too. 
I will be posting friendly reminders each week and a sneak
peek at the finished quilt is coming soon. 

My quilt finishes 47" x 59" and contains 111 - 3" Churn Dash blocks
and 110 - 3-1/2" cut green squares cut from a variety of prints. 
If you make 12 Churn Dash blocks each week for 9 weeks
you will have enough to make this quilt and have it ready for Christmas. 
(you will need to make three extra blocks to have 111)

Here are the simple instructions for one block. 
Cut the following from red:
2 squares, 2" x 2"
1 strip, 1" x 8"
Cut the following from light:
1 square, 1-1/2" x 1-1/2"
2 squares, 2" x 2"
1 strip, 1" x 8"
Using 2" light and red squares make 4 half 
square triangles as follows:
1. Draw a diagonal line on wrong side of light squares.
2. Layer a light and red square together.
3. Sew 1/4" from both sides of the drawn line.
4. Cut on line to yield four half square triangles.
5. Trim half square triangles to 1-1/2"
Strip piece light and red 1" strips together.
Press toward the dark and sub-cut into
four 1-1/2" units.
Layout block in rows, as pictured.
Sew the pieces together in rows.
Join the rows together and press. 
Finished block should measure 3-1/2" 
including seam allowances.

21 comments:

  1. I have been loving making 3" finished blocks lately so I'm in on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! Can't wait to get started!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes of course I would love to make these little blocks! My Wednesday quilt turned out fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely joining in. Love this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your fabrics! One of my favorite quilt blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good way to use up all those special red and green fabrics. Love the churn dash block, and it looks easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will be so pretty. I have to say I'm stuck on "I was out of projects." :) I don't think I will be there ever before I die.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seams open or to the side? The small blocks always seem so bulky in the back for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a general rule I do not press seams open. I like to press them in the direction that has the least bulk.

      Delete
  9. I have some green and red scraps which will be perfect for this. I should be able to make two or three blocks from each scrap, alternating the colorways. Thank you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How do I figure out how much of the red and white fabrics I will need to make all 111 3 1/2 churn dash blocks? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I was using scraps I did not really figure that out. I did some quick math and I think it is close to 2 yards total light and 2 yards total red. Hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. I never thought you ran out of ideas! :)

      Delete
  11. Whew! I am late to the party but I will do my best to catch up. Looking forward to start sewing. Always quilting, Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm behind and with making xmas gifts I'm not sure I'll catch up. But I'm going to try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was lucky to be able to purchase the greens. I love you quilts and make all the sew alongs. Thank you for beautiful projects.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this but would like to make them with charm packs. All I would need to do is double your measurements! Thank you. I just love them!

    ReplyDelete