Title

Title

Monday, February 20, 2023

TQC Journal | issue 77

Whirl Update
If you are sewing along with me here are the next few steps.
You will need enough red and light 1-1/2" squares to make 
12 Nine Patch blocks. Use the photos to assemble the next
round of the Whirl Quilt. 

Add the top and bottom section to your center section. 

Join the sections as pictured above. Set aside the additional
squares to finish off the Nine Patch blocks in the corners. 

Finish off the Nine Patch blocks in the corners. 
Here are a few things to keep in mind when
 assembling the Whirl Quilt. 

Hand Piecing
1. I am using a 1-1/2" rubber stamp to mark my squares.
2. I am not stitching in the seam allowances. This will
allow me to be able to add sections as I go. 

Machine Piecing 
1. Cut your squares as usual and stitch with a 1/4" seam allowance.
2. As with hand piecing do not stitch in the seam allowance. I did 
go ahead and piece a section with the machine and was able to 
get everything to go together with stitching in the seam allowances.

English Paper Piecing
1. This is probably the simplest assembly method. 
2. You will need 1" squares and 1" x 3" rectangles.
You can order the paper pieces here

This months Whirl Diagram. Right click on the image,
click Save As, name it - Whirl Step Two. Add it to 
a file or print it out. 

5 comments:

  1. Love this! I have my center block done and will continue now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a good start. Another way to approach assembling this quilt would be to assemble the blocks into four sections - each a quarter of the quilt. Then stitch the quarters together with the offset in the middle. Instead of starting with a center block and stitching more 9patches around it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this great project. I am using my 2022 repro scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an amazing pattern! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Janie @ crazyvictoriana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete